Have you ever wondered, “What happens to the money that I spent at carnival? Where do my donations to Boosterthon go? How does PTO spend the money I sent in for staff appreciation meals?”
Your generous donations, revenue from carnival ticket and wristband fees, and Boosterthon donations support Oak Point teachers, staff, and students. An annual budget is presented for a vote by the Board at the May general meeting for the following school year. Once approved, the Board utilizes the budget to make funding decisions throughout the school year and any variances or changes in budget over $2500 must be presented and approved at a general meeting. A partial list of how the Oak Point PTO spent money for 2015-16 school year is below and is representative of yearly spending.
This is how the PTO spent funds in 2015-16:
- $5,000 was given towards classroom programs, and funded visits from the Zoomobile, the Planetarium, author Derek Anderson and Climb Theatre.
- $5,000 was given for leveled readers and used to purchase new books for the take home reader program and libraries in each of the atriums.
- $10,000 was allocated to the campus fund and used to upgrade the Oak Point facilities including the wall murals, new banner, and picnic tables.
- $3,000 was used towards staff appreciation. Staff appreciation events include a welcome breakfast at beginning of year, spring conference meals, breakfast for Oak Point teachers and staff during staff appreciation week, and gift cards/gifts for giveaways during staff appreciation week.
- $3,000 was allocated toward community building. Community building events include Open House at the beginning of the school year, Bakken Museum family night, Oak Point PTO meetings, the FEPS Taste of Eden Prairie silent auction basket donated by the Oak Point PTO, the school-wide year-end celebration, and gifts at the end of the year for all sixth graders.
- $6,000 was given to teachers for classroom supplies. Each classroom teacher received $100, and various additional dollar amounts were given to individual departments.
- $3,000 was used to fund classroom subscriptions for various grade levels which include Scholastic News and National Geographic.
- $1,000 was allocated to a principal’s discretionary fund, used for student awards and staff awards throughout the school year.
- $2,000 was used for miscellaneous items such as printing costs for flyers that go home, filings/insurance costs, Presidents’ Council funds, an appreciation cake for cafeteria staff, and appreciation brownies for our maintenance staff after carnival.