The Oak Point PTO will sponsor our 6th annual Read-A-Thon between October 24-30, 2016. A copy of the information packet distributed to students is available for download here. Stay up to date with the Read-A-Thon online. Be sure to like Oak Point Elementary-PTO on Facebook or follow @OakPointPTO on Twitter for reminders and updates throughout the event.
2016 Read-A-Thon Goals
Our goals for 2016 are:
- to have 100% student participation in the Read-A-Thon, and
- to reach an all-school reading goal of 150,000 minutes
Our reading goal can be reached if every Oak Point student reads an average of 30 minutes a day between October 24-30.
How does the Read-A-Thon work?
- Read outside of the school day. Any reading done outside of the school day counts and can include reading to self, being read to, or reading to someone else. Any parent-approved reading material counts: books, magazines, newspapers
- Record the number of minutes your student reads every day on the Minute Tracker Tally Form from the information packet
- Sign and return the Minute Tracker Tally Form on Monday, October 31.
- Your student will be working with their class toward their classroom goal. If every student reads at least 15 minutes each day, their class will reach their goal and receive a reward.
- The classroom from each grade that reads the most during the Read-A-Thon week will earn a gift card for their teacher to use in their classroom. Their class will also get to display a trophy and banner.
- If Oak Point students successfully meet the school-wide goal of reading 150,000 minutes during the Read-A-Thon, Principal Knorr will accept a challenge selected for him by Oak Point’s 6th graders.
Important Dates for Students:
- Monday (10/24/16) is CRAZY SOCK DAY. We are kicking off the Read-A-Thon by kicking it in some crazy socks!
- Tuesday (10/25/16) is READ YOUR SHIRT DAY. Wear something with words that someone else can read.
- Wednesday (10/26/16) is READING RAINBOW DAY. Each grade will wear a different color of the Rainbow: K-Red, 1st Grade-Yellow, 2nd Grade-Green, 3rd Grade-Light Blue, 4th Grade-Purple, 5th Grade-Orange, 6th-Dark Blue
- Thursday (10/27/16) is CRAZY HAT DAY. Put on your Reading Hats - the crazier the better!
- Friday (10/28/16) is EDEN PRAIRIE SPIRIT DAY. Celebrate the end of the Read-A-Thon by wearing your Oak Point shirt, any Eagle wear, or red and black.
Important Dates for Families:
- Monday (10/25/16): Start recording reading minutes
- Tuesday (10/26/16): Chipotle Night. Come for dinner at Chipotle in Eden Prairie (13250 Technology Drive, Suite 108) on Tuesday, October 25 between 3:30-10:00 PM. Chipotle will donate 50% of all sales to Oak Point Elementary. YES, 50%!!! Show the flyer from the information packet, show it on your mobile device, or mention you are supporting Oak Point to the cashier.
- Sunday (10/30/16): Finish recording reading minutes for the week on the Minute Tracker Tally Form and sign it.
- Monday (10/31/16): Have your student return the Minute Tracker Tally Form on Monday, 10/31.